Thursday 7 May 2015

Sun Printing: Experiment One

I've been wanting to try this for ages: Sun Printing.  It's pretty straight forward, you paint over your fabric and place what ever objects you want to make an outline of on top, which blocks the sun from exposing the pigment.  First, I covered some cardboard with bin bags (need a water proof surface to put your fabric on) and chose some flower cuttings to print.

Here's my diy plates... easy peasy

 
 
Here's a couple of pictures with the plants scattered on the fabric..... I also wanted to try adding some text.  I used plain copy paper but I was too thin.  I think I need something that won't soak up the paint.
 

 
In the bottom picture, I have shifted the bleeding hearts to see if it was ready...  The areas with the most details were where the plants were pressed firmly against the cloth.   I'm pleased with the results but will alter the way I use the plants in the future.  Here are some close up pictures.  The whitest areas are where the plants were flat.

 
Will be doing some more of these in the future, weather permitting...LOL
 

No comments:

Post a Comment